13 February 2017
Five top tips to eat clean and get lean
Improving your health, fitness and wellbeing begins with exercise and good, balanced nutrition.
Just as your exercise plan is personal; depending on your goals, your current level of fitness and your physical state, what you eat should be personal too. It depends on your food sensitivities and intolerances, your personal preferences and your goals.
However, there are some golden rules that apply to almost everyone.
Forget faddy diets. It’s time to give them up. The word ‘diet’ means the foods you eat. It’s something we do forever, not just for a month. Eating clean is about changing your lifestyle… and it’s really simple.
You can get the lean look. You will feel better and look better. Anyone can do it. You can start now. Here are our five top tips to eat clean:
- Eat fresh food. The closest to its natural state as possible. A simple guide is don’t eat food with ingredients you can’t pronounce!
- Cut out refined sugar. Its highly addictive and bad for you. Natural and nutritious foods will give you energy rather than the highs and lows of sugar. Try low GI fruits such as berries or apples. Try sweetening food and drinks with natural sugar in the form of honey.
- Drink more water. 2 litres a day. Hydrated muscles grow and perform at a higher level, and they are better protected against catabolism (breakdown) than muscles that are dehydrated.
- Eat balanced and in moderation. Don't avoid carbohydrates or dietary fats entirely on your clean diet approach, or you'll find yourself dreading your meals. Get them in, adjusting the portion sizes to fit your nutrient and body goals. Favour complex, unprocessed carbs and unsaturated fats, and you're on the right track.
- Eat healthy fats. Healthy fats don’t make us fat, they’re good for us! Even some healthy (i.e. from a high-quality source) saturated fats. You can get healthy fats from, for example, fish (e.g. anchovies and sardines), nuts and seeds (e.g. walnuts, almonds, chia seeds), avocados, eggs, oils (olive oil, coconut oil), dairy products and grass-fed beef.
Remember, the best way is to get expert advice on what would suit you personally. Just give us a call on 01325 401110 and our nutritionists will get you on the clean path to being lean.